Lawyers providing immigration assistance

Immigration Representatives

All immigration procedures may be carried out without the assistance of a lawyer or other immigration counsellor (an immigration consultant, Québec notary or paralegal). You may submit your application yourself, by carefully following all the steps. Whether you deal with a counsellor or not, your file won't be handled any more quickly.

However, if you decide to deal with a counsellor, whether a lawyer or not, usually for a fee, inquire about that person beforehand. First check whether that person is authorized to act in that capacity in dealing with you. Ask for references and try to get recommendations from people you know. Ask for a written statement of the cost of the services offered by that counsellor and the services offered for that amount of money. Ask questions and, above all, be suspicious of what seems too good to be true, because it probably is…

People who have recourse to a lawyer for a case that is covered by Legal Aid must take note that under section 60 of the Legal Aid Act, lawyers who have agreed to take on a case with the legal aid mandate cannot bill any additional charges for that case. Moreover, if you have to pay cash to a lawyer, it is important to always demand a receipt.

If you choose an immigration representative in Canada, you may contact the Québec Commercial Certification Office, before making your choice, to find out whether any complaints have been filed against the consultant with whom you are planning on dealing, if he's a member of the Office.

You may also consult the Québec registry of recognized immigration consultants (Registre québécois des consultants en immigration reconnus).

To obtain more information on immigration representatives, consult the section Learn about using a representative on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website.

© Barreau du Québec 2013-