Lawyers providing immigration assistance


Basic hospitalization costs and medical care are covered by Québec's universal health insurance plan administered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) and Québec's hospital insurance plan.

A health insurance card enables you to benefit from health care services without having to pay for them. You must present this card whenever you go to see a doctor or when you go to a hospital or a local community services centre (called a CLSC).

Everyone living in Québec is entitled to health insurance if they come within one of the categories below:

  • a Canadian citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • a person, during a stay in Canada, who is authorized to submit an application for permanent residence
  • a refugee
  • an Indian, within the meaning of the Indian Act
  • a holder of a temporary resident permit who applied for one in order to obtain permanent residence
    If you are in Québec to work here or if you have been awarded a scholarship or are taking part in an official Québec government training program, you and your spouse as well as your dependents are eligible for the health insurance plan, as long as you meet certain conditions.

To register for the Plan, you must fill out a form. To get this form, you must phone the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec or go to their offices. This public health insurance plan generally does not cover immigrants' medical expenses during their first three months in Québec.

More information and RAMQ contact information may be found in the leaflet entitled Health Insurance, produced by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec and also available on RAMQ's website.

Video bonus

For additional information (in French), free of charge, listen to the legal question on show #2 of the television series Le Droit de savoir, on the topic of health insurance and immigration.

© Barreau du Québec 2013-